karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Ɓukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:38:38 GMT
Hey guys,
Since we have bunch of features in current prototype I would like to start talking about roadmap
and other communities involvement.

What we currently have:
- Security layer integrated with JAAS, also with support for roles (based on Ioannis jaas-blog
example).
	Every subpage can have different set of principals allowed to watch it - for example we can
introduce karaf-manager and developer roles and so on.
- Support for basic OSGi operations
	Start, stop, refresh and uninstall operations on bundles
- Extensible bundles view which allows to add new columns
	As an example you can check blueprint module
- Support for basic karaf operations
	Viewing, installing features, listing repositories and adding new ones
- Extensible dashboard with widgets possible to be added dynamically by webconsole modules
- Example ServiceMix extension which lists endpoints, exchanges and exchange details
- Support for translations throught wicket i18n mechanism
- Support for branding based on OSGi BrandProvider services, not only on fragment resource
overrides.

Felix WebConsole contains much more features eg. viewing the logs, editing the configurations
(it's broken currently in our case) managing Karaf instances and so on. I started thinking
about announcing our work to these user communities who may be interested in extensions. With
them we can discuss scope of webconsole (and their extensions). I think we are close to stabilize
core APIs and start working on first version which should be released before end of this year.

Communities which may be involved:
- servicemix (especially in context of smx5)
- camel
- felix
- sling
- geronimo (since it is OSGi based)
- activemq?
- cxf?

WDYT, are we ready to ask them for help and cooperation?

Best regards,
Lukasz