karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf 2.2x, 2.3.x and Spring version
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 20:33:48 GMT
Might it also be possible to keep the Camel/CXF, etc. users on 2.2.2 
until *those* projects upgrade to 3.0.6?  If they're going to do so in a 
month or so anyway, probably better to keep them on 2.2.2 instead of 
maintaining a 2.3.x branch over such a minor library update.

Glen


On 09/05/2011 11:42 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
> I've not looked at the spring changelog for the 3.0.6 release but is there
> really any ground shaking reason which requires that we can't wait another
> month? If we cant I'm definitely for a workaround (e.g. adding a spring-next
> feature) instead of releasing 2.3.0. Adding a new minor branch to the 2.x
> releases simply bears the risk that we start to add new features there too
> (delaying 3.0...).
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 14:57, Jamie G.<jamie.goodyear@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> +1 Same as Andreas.
>>
>> I assume this also means a 2.3.0 release for spring 3.0.6.RELEASE.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Charles Moulliard<cmoulliard@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I agree on Andreas's remark. We should keep karaf as light as possible
>>> and removed what is not part of the core of its project (spring, http,
>>> war, ...). Feel free next to end user to deploy their required
>>> features. Otherwise, we will be obliged to sync the release of Karaf
>>> with Camel, CXF, Spring .... like this is a bit the case for the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles
>>>
>>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Andreas Pieber<anpieber@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>> TBH I'm not happy that we can't upgrade a micro version of a referenced
>>>> library in a micro release of karaf. TBH I would rather prefer staying
>> with
>>>> 3.0.5 for the entire 2.x branch than keeping 2.3 for a micro dep
>> upgrade.
>>>> In addition we should learn from this and completely remove all features
>>>> from karaf. Even http, spring wrapper... Those should be maintained by
>> the
>>>> karaf team but not distributed in karaf core. They could be loaded from
>> a
>>>> cave repo or from any other method we've discussed in the last time.
>> Because
>>>> of this situation I think it is very important that we get rid of the
>>>> problem in 3.0 for once and all.
>>>>
>>>> Knd regards Andreas
>>>> On Sep 5, 2011 7:09 AM, "Jean-Baptiste Onofré"<jb@nanthrax.net>  wrote:
>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>>
>>>>> as you have certainly seen, we have an issue with Karaf 2.2.3 and
>> Camel.
>>>>> In Karaf 2.2.3, we upgraded to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE, whereas Camel
>> still
>>>>> uses Spring 3.0.5.RELEASE.
>>>>> As Spring is major component for CXF, Camel, etc. So, we should
>>>>> "address" a Spring update with a lot of attention.
>>>>>
>>>>> I propose:
>>>>> - to rollback Spring to 3.0.5.RELEASE in Karaf 2.2.x.
>>>>> - to create a Karaf 2.3.x branch, exactly a copy of 2.2.x, but with
>>>>> update to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE
>>>>> - in both branches, we add all Spring features to cover all Spring
>>>>> bundles. We have few issues to fix in both branches and I propose to
>>>>> release 2.2.4 and 2.3.0 soon.
>>>>> - update Karaf 3.0.x (trunk) to Spring 3.0.6.RELEASE
>>>>>
>>>>> WDYT ?
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards
>>>>> JB
>>>>> --
>>>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>>>> jbonofre@apache.org
>>>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com


-- 
Glen Mazza
Talend - http://www.talend.com/ai
Blog - http://www.jroller.com/gmazza
Twitter - glenmazza



Mime
View raw message