karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:32:05 GMT
Hey Guillaume,

Any tool listed below have own 'management' tool, and that's main problem. We (generaly people
involved in webconsole development) wish to propose solution without forcing anybody to using
or extending it. It will depend on developers and users community if they will see benefits
from webconsole extensions or not.
From other hand camel svn repository contains code which is stricly related to Karaf - the
commands and some community members support it even if not everyone uses it. In fact 50% of
camel code is not widely used, but that is not reason to remove it from source tree, isn't?

I think also we will be able to provide *web* distribution of webconsole without bigger problems.
Code uses plain wicket structures and may be embedded in any WAR so it may be easier to switch
webconsole from osgi to war than servicemix from osgi to tomcat.

Best regards,
Lukasz

> 2011/9/2 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>:
>> Hey guys,
>> Since we have bunch of features in current prototype I would like to start talking
about roadmap and other communities involvement.

>> What we currently have:
>> - Security layer integrated with JAAS, also with support for roles (based on Ioannis
jaas-blog example).
>>        Every subpage can have different set of principals allowed to watch it - for
example we can introduce karaf-manager and developer roles and so on.
>> - Support for basic OSGi operations
>>        Start, stop, refresh and uninstall operations on bundles
>> - Extensible bundles view which allows to add new columns
>>        As an example you can check blueprint module
>> - Support for basic karaf operations
>>        Viewing, installing features, listing repositories and adding new ones
>> - Extensible dashboard with widgets possible to be added dynamically by webconsole
modules
>> - Example ServiceMix extension which lists endpoints, exchanges and exchange details
>> - Support for translations throught wicket i18n mechanism
>> - Support for branding based on OSGi BrandProvider services, not only on fragment
resource overrides.

>> Felix WebConsole contains much more features eg. viewing the logs, editing the configurations
(it's broken currently in our case) managing Karaf instances and so on. I started thinking
about announcing our work to these user communities who may be interested in extensions. With
them we can discuss scope of webconsole (and their extensions). I think we are close to stabilize
core APIs and start working on first version which should be released before end of this year.