karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:43:37 GMT
Hey Guillaume,
You're right we use PaxWicket as an glue to connect all pieces together, but pax in fact is
an wicket extension which manages classloaders and wraps some elements (look for @PaxWicketMountPoint
annotations, @PaxWicketBean).

Best regards,
Lukasz

> If the console can be run without osgi, the problem becomes slightly
> different, I agree.
> If we can provide a basic infrastructure for running the same code in
> osgi and in a war, it becomes very interesting.
> But I thought it was based on pax-wicket which afaik is slightly
> different than pure wicket, but I haven't really looked at it, so not
> sure about that.
>
> Also, camel and activemq consoles are based on top of a rest api which
> is already provided by those frameworks.
> For ServiceMix 5, I was considering going the same direction too.
>
> 2011/9/8 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>:
>> Hey Guillaume,
>>
>> Any tool listed below have own 'management' tool, and that's main problem. We (generaly
people involved in webconsole development) wish to propose solution without forcing anybody
to using or extending it. It will depend on developers and users community if they will see
benefits from webconsole extensions or not.
>> From other hand camel svn repository contains code which is stricly related to Karaf
- the commands and some community members support it even if not everyone uses it. In fact
50% of camel code is not widely used, but that is not reason to remove it from source tree,
isn't?

>> I think also we will be able to provide *web* distribution of webconsole without
bigger problems. Code uses plain wicket structures and may be embedded in any WAR so it may
be easier to switch webconsole from osgi to war than servicemix from osgi to tomcat.

>> Best regards,
>> Lukasz

talking about roadmap and other communities involvement.

it - for example we can introduce karaf-manager and developer roles and so on.

the configurations (it's broken currently in our case) managing Karaf instances and so on.
I started thinking about announcing our work to these user communities who may be interested
in extensions. With them we can discuss scope of webconsole (and their extensions). I think
we are close to stabilize core APIs and start working on first version which should be released
before end of this year.