karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:06:05 GMT
2011/9/2 Łukasz Dywicki <luke@code-house.org>:
> Hey guys,
> Since we have bunch of features in current prototype I would like to start talking about
roadmap and other communities involvement.

> What we currently have:
> - Security layer integrated with JAAS, also with support for roles (based on Ioannis
jaas-blog example).
>        Every subpage can have different set of principals allowed to watch it - for
example we can introduce karaf-manager and developer roles and so on.
> - Support for basic OSGi operations
>        Start, stop, refresh and uninstall operations on bundles
> - Extensible bundles view which allows to add new columns
>        As an example you can check blueprint module
> - Support for basic karaf operations
>        Viewing, installing features, listing repositories and adding new ones
> - Extensible dashboard with widgets possible to be added dynamically by webconsole modules
> - Example ServiceMix extension which lists endpoints, exchanges and exchange details
> - Support for translations throught wicket i18n mechanism
> - Support for branding based on OSGi BrandProvider services, not only on fragment resource
overrides.

> Felix WebConsole contains much more features eg. viewing the logs, editing the configurations
(it's broken currently in our case) managing Karaf instances and so on. I started thinking
about announcing our work to these user communities who may be interested in extensions. With
them we can discuss scope of webconsole (and their extensions). I think we are close to stabilize
core APIs and start working on first version which should be released before end of this year.

> Communities which may be involved:
> - servicemix (especially in context of smx5)
> - camel
> - felix
> - sling
> - geronimo (since it is OSGi based)
> - activemq?
> - cxf?

Afaik, Geronimo has its own console.
Camel and ActiveMQ are not OSGi based so I doubt they could benefit
from this work.
For ServiceMix, we were also discussing allowing ServiceMix added
value to run on non OSGi based deployment such as tomcat, so that may
be a bit problematic too.

--
Guillaume Nodet