karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting embedded Karaf from Java - reliance on System properties
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:40:48 GMT
Hey Lindsay,

Well, the problem here is that Karaf is not really made to run embedded.
This is similar to a situation where you would like to start JBoss or
Glassfish embedded. Even if you use jetty/tomcat embedded you do so to add
one functionality: servlets. Something similar is true for Karaf. I'm
curious if it isn't the better solution to use plain felix/equinox if you
like to start an embedded OSGi engine. Nevertheless, may I ask what you like
to do with an embedded Karaf?

OK, back to you question: currently there is no option to configure Karaf by
a map of properties. In addition the question is: how useful this will be.
The internal parts of Karaf make quite heavy use of
System.getProperty(KARAF_HOME) and similar properties. This is also the
reason why Karaf does the following shortly after startup:

System.setProperty(PROP_KARAF_HOME, karafHome.getPath());
System.setProperty(PROP_KARAF_BASE, karafBase.getPath());
System.setProperty(PROP_KARAF_DATA, karafData.getPath());
System.setProperty(PROP_KARAF_INSTANCES, karafInstances.getPath());

Therefore, even if you can put those properties in via a MAP they will (and
have to be) still be set as system props. So no real solution here.

@The system.properties: Karaf doesn't uses this file but rather provides the
values in there as system properties again. You can see all this behavior
here [1]

I'm afraid there is no way to remove all of them. Some things wouldn't even
work if the sys properties aren't set.

Kind regards,
Andreas

[1]