karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: feature names are potentially ambiguous?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:59:18 GMT
I don't understand your question.  I was trying to say 2 completely separate things:

1. I think but don't know that the subsystem spec expects that subsystem names are like bsns.
 If this is true it might be a good idea to line up karaf feature names for future compatibility
with subsystems.

2. Any feature distributed by a project needs to have that projects name in  the feature name.
 To take the aries-jndi example, if karaf names a feature aries-jndi, and aries wants to publish
a jndi feature themselves, what can they call it?  I think karaf has to use "karaf-aries-jndi"
and aries gets "aries-jndi".  Of course one solution is to use a fully qualified name, and
I don't think they are really any more complicated than these partly-qualified names, which
is why I think we should keep them.

thanks
david jencks

?

> I'm not sure that sub-systems will help.
>
> On 10/13/2011 06:04 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Ioannis Canellos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> The fact that the features you mentioned are provided by the Karaf doesn't
>>> mean that we need to prefix them with karaf.
>>> For example we can only use the project that implements those features and
>>> end up with something like this:
>>>
>>> aries-jndi
>>> aries-tx
>>> spring-tx
>>> camel-jpa
>>> karaf-webconsole
>>>
>>> wdyt?
>>
>> Absolutely not.  If geronimo wants to use a different selection of bundles for an
aries-jndi feature it should be able to without any difference in naming convention.

>> I'd check the subsystem spec to see what they plan to use.  The sample subsystems
I've seen all use a bsn-like name.