karaf-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1188071 - /karaf/trunk/assemblies/features/framework/src/main/feature/feature.xml
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:18:58 GMT
I made some time to update the custom-distribution page of the manual.  While researching it
I realized I misled you a bit on irc.

The framework kar is listed with maven compile (default) scope.  Therefore the features repos
in the kar (there's only one) is not listed in the etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file
as a features repo, but all the features in it (there's only one) are installed into startup.properties.

Other features repos and kars (such as the missing full kar) are listed with maven runtime
scope.  Therefore those feature repos are all listed as repos in the features.cfg file but
the features aren't automatically installed at all: you have to list the ones you want in
the karaf-maven-plugin configuration.

Please look at the new docs and let me know if they are unclear and/or wrong.

I'll try to find some time soon to document the "build a feature repo" packaging too.

thanks
david jencks

On Oct 24, 2011, at 12:28 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> Hi Ioannis,
> 
> I wish I'd got the documentation for this written and committed earlier :-(
> 
> Basically what you say is correct.  These deployers used to be in the full kar/feature
that jb removed in 1181815.  I think we should basically revert that commit and bring back
this feature/kar.
> 
> On the irc discussion I realized that the framework kar is currently a special case in
that the feature isn't actually installed during assembly, the kar is just unpacked and it
includes the base startup.properties file that the framework feature ought to generate.  I
think it would be better to actually install the framework feature as a <startup-feature>
and have that installation process generate the startup.properties.  I have some other things
to work on this week but I'll try to experiment with that to see if it can be made to work.....
plus hopefully some docs.
> 
> thanks!
> david jencks
> 
> On Oct 24, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Ioannis Canellos wrote:
> 
>> Hi David,
>> 
>> apparently there a things that I miss.
>> 
>> As far as I understand assemblies use the framework feature to generate the
>> startup properties. I assume the the framework feature is to be used by all
>> assemblies and so it needs to be as minimal possible.
>> Then each assembly can customize the content of its system folder, boot
>> features etc by specifying the features,bootfeatures etc.
>> If I understand things right, we need to add the deployer bundles as part of
>> some existing features or add new features for them if they do not fit
>> anywhere.
>> 
>> -- 
>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>> *
>> FuseSource <http://fusesource.com>
>> 
>> **
>> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>> **
>> Apache Karaf <http://karaf.apache.org/> Committer & PMC
>> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
>> Apache Gora <http://incubator.apache.org/gora/> Committer
>> *
> 


Mime
View raw message