karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Features
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 21:19:33 GMT
On Monday, October 24, 2011 11:10:34 PM Gert Vanthienen wrote:
> LS,
>
> Reading back on this thread, I see a few suggestions that we might want to
> consider translating into JIRA issues that we can fix in a next version of
> Karaf.
>
> 1. Improve the features Maven plugin to be aware of feature versions while
> filling the features repository (a suggested by Dan Kulp)
> 2. Improve the features descriptor to allow specifying a requirement (other
> descriptor) with a version range and only install an additional features url
> if the requirement is not met (to avoid installing more than one version of
> the same descriptor)

+1.   Honestly, I'd like to see that on bundles as well:

<bundle>mvn:org.apache.ws.security/wss4j/[1.6,1.7)</bundle>

Useful when not using the OBR.

#3, while interesting, leads to a bunch of other issues that would require a
lot more testing and likely a lot of changes to the other project features.xml
files.   I was chatting with gnodet about this the other day as well.   The
OBR stuff really only considers imports and dependencies that are not marked
optional.   Thus, with something like CXF that has a bunch of things that are
optional, if you use the OBR, a lot of things that used to work would no
longer work.

It might be good if the OBR resolver was able to look at the locally available
bundles to resolve the imports as well.   Doesn't need to go out to the
internet and such, but at least check what has been pre-installed into the
system dir.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp