karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:02:47 GMT
Hi David,

What do you think about something like:

karaf@root> instance:create geronimo-my
karaf@root> instance:connect geronimo-my
karaf@geronimo-my> profile:apply geronimo
Patching etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file
Patching system directory

It's what I have with the profiles for now.

Regards
JB

On 01/12/2012 01:21 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> Geronimo needs some "special purpose" "little" servers related to the main one, for instance
to run javaee app clients.  I'm thinking of implementing this as a karaf child instance.
I'm going to make a kar to install it (i.e. all the etc/ and such resource files will be in
a kar under resources/instances/client/etc).

> At the moment I'm thinking of just reusing most of the files from the main server and
hand-editing them, but maybe it would be possible to combine things so that the server-assembly
mojos generate something into the instances/<foo>  directory and then the kar packaging
step packs stuff into a kar.

> I don't yet know if this makes sense... it would result in it being easy to make installable
child instances with properties defined in the pom.  Putting the idea out in case I forget
about it :-)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org