karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Possibly crazy idea about installable child instances
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:34:48 GMT
Ahhh OK, catcha.

It's at build time and it's kind of "instance provisioning".

On the other hand, I plan to "store/package" a profile as a kar file,
and the profile is a diff on the "default" Karaf kar.

Regards
JB

On 01/12/2012 08:24 AM, David Jencks wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
> That looks useful but I think it's for a different purpose.  I want something maven sets
up as part of the build, and I want the instance to be a fairly independent server.  Basically
I want the startup.properties for the instance to be generated from startup features in the
same way it is for a karaf assembly, but in the instance directory, and then the instance
files packed up as kar resources rather than packed up as a server assembly tar.gz and zip.

> BTW installing an instance from a kar seems to work fine.... I made the resources for
the kar (i.e. all the instance/<foo>  files) by hand but once made you can include it
in a karaf assembly and then it works fine.

> thanks!
> david jencks
>
> On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> What do you think about something like:
>>
>> karaf@root>  instance:create geronimo-my
>> karaf@root>  instance:connect geronimo-my
>> karaf@geronimo-my>  profile:apply geronimo
>> Patching etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg file
>> Patching system directory
>>
>> It's what I have with the profiles for now.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 01/12/2012 01:21 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>>> Geronimo needs some "special purpose" "little" servers related to the main one,
for instance to run javaee app clients.  I'm thinking of implementing this as a karaf child
instance.  I'm going to make a kar to install it (i.e. all the etc/ and such resource files
will be in a kar under resources/instances/client/etc).

>>> At the moment I'm thinking of just reusing most of the files from the main server
and hand-editing them, but maybe it would be possible to combine things so that the server-assembly
mojos generate something into the instances/<foo>   directory and then the kar packaging
step packs stuff into a kar.

>>> I don't yet know if this makes sense... it would result in it being easy to make
installable child instances with properties defined in the pom.  Putting the idea out in case
I forget about it :-)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org