karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] A features-fragment for extending external Features
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 08:30:31 GMT
Hi all,

when I tried to work on  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1017 last
night I noticed that
our features are missing a nice "feature".
Following situation right now.

The Karaf standard feature does contain the http, war, http-whiteboard and
jetty feature.
Those features do not only contain the pax-web and jetty bundles but also
some extra
benefits of Karaf, the http and web commands.

AFAIR we decided once that it would be best that every project does take
care of the their features,
as Camel and CXF (AFAIK) have done so far.
For the pax-web project I did this for pax-web 2.0 which includes those
features named above.
The thing that is missing in the pax-web-features file are the http and web
commands.

*My proposal: *
Introduce a new features element called *features-fragment*
The tag could look like the following:

<features-fragment name="http-command" host="http">
     <bundle ....>
</features-fragment>

this fragment is supposed to be extending the hosting feature to add
additional bundles which
are also installed by the features service when the hosting feature is
installed. The features service
could look for all features-fragments that are "bound" to the host
features.

I think just creating a feature that depends on the http features like the
following

<feature name="http-command">
     <feature>http</feature>
     <bundle ....>
</feature>

is not enough and is actually also a regression of Karaf 3.0 vs. Karaf 2.2.x

*Benefits: *
This way we are able to easily adapt/extend external features with
specialties needed in certain environments.
Right now it would be that the external pax-web feature is extended with
special Karaf commands.
But I could also think this to be a nice enhancement for customers
extending Karaf with their own features.

Regards, Achim

Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>