karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CONF] Apache Karaf > 2010-09-10 Inline jline and jansi into console project
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:22:19 GMT
Christian,

I think you misunderstood me.  I don't care either way myself and that
was actually not this way at first.  I did that because that was a
request from downstream users.  Projects such as ActiveMQ use the
shell console jar outside of OSGi and it makes their life easier.

If we were in a perfect osgi world, each jar would expose its api and
hide its implementation.  Unfortunately, that's not the way it works,
and we need to make trade-off  for technical reasons.

Anyway, one thing which would be more interesting Imho would be to
split the console from the namespace handler.  One reason is that the
namespace handler is needed for other commands to be registered, but
some users have asked that the console is actually started as late as
possible (using bundle start level).  Given the two are in the same
bundle, that's not possible right now.

One possible way to solve those two problems would be:
  1./ split the namespace handler from the console
  2./ ask the activemq guys what they think about the single jar problem
  3./ if they really need it, provide a second packaging bundle which
would include the two splitted bundles + jansi / jline

Also, if I may suggest, if you have some free time, maybe you could
check with Jean-Baptiste who is trying to stabilize the trunk for an
eventual release ...

--
Guillaume Nodet