karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Update on Karaf 3.0.0
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:03:45 GMT
Hi all,

I would like to make an update on the status of Karaf 3.0.

1/ Bootstrap time and artifacts resolution
I fixed the latest issue around pax-url-aether and artifacts resolution
on Saturday.
Now, for SNAPSHOT artifacts, the karaf-maven-plugin (create-kar and
install-kar goals) creates or copy the maven-metadata-local.xml.
It means that only new SNAPSHOTs will be downloaded from a remote
repository.
More than easy testing/updating, a good news is that the artifact
resolution is largely quicker than before, and so the Karaf bootstrap
time is largely better (now the Karaf bootstrap on trunk is equivalent
to Karaf 2.2.x).

2/ Sub-shell
As we discussed during the latest meeting, a new feature expected in
Karaf 3.0.0 is sub-shell.
I started to work on it yesterday afternoon and I have something working:

karaf@root()> region
karaf@root(region)> exit
karaf@root()>

I have new enhancements to perform (multiple sub-shells support,
completion contextual to a sub-shell, etc).
I will certainly commit a "work in progress" today and complete it
tomorrow and the day after.

3/ Admin replaced by instance
As you probably saw, the admin module has been renamed to instance.
It includes the MBeans, and admin:* commands renamed to instance:*.

3/ Module refactoring
Christian provided a patch around config handling.
I will refactore it a bit to adopt the same way as feature, system, etc
modules (core bundle, management bundle, command bundle).
I will take update some others modules in the same way.
It should be done tomorrow evening or Thursday mornning.

3/ Dependencies update and Aries features
I'm going to update some dependencies in Karaf 3.0 in order to be up to
date.
We have currently an issue in Aries bundles/features. Depending of the
Aries features, it requires aries-util 0.4 or aries-util 0.5. As the
Aries bundles don't use version range, it means that it should be aligned.
I'm fixing this issue (and eventually raise some Jira/patches to Aries).

4/ Karaf 3.0.0 branch
I plan to cut off the karaf-3.0.x branch over the week end and prepare a
first RC.

Regards
JB
--