karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Proposal for pax url aether config
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2012 07:49:09 GMT
I think it makes sense to stay with aether. It makes our artifact
resolution more standard. So people with maven knowledge understand what
happens.
Another reason why I would like to stay with aether is that it minimizes
the code we have to maintain and that we automatically participate in
advancements in
new maven versions.

I did not realize that all artifacts are copied to the local repo but on
the other hand I donĀ“t think it is a big problem. We are only talking
about 10 MB after all.
We could propose an enhancement to aether to mark a repository as "near"
or "do not cache". This could allow to mark the system dir in that way
and should
then trigger maven to just use the artifacts from there. Perhaps aether
could even detect automatically that a repo is on a file location and
default to that setting.
Till we have this enhancement I think it would be ok to live with the
copied artifacts.

Yesterday JB and I discussed that using the default local repo allows to
build a kind of network distribution that is very small. For companies
that have their
own maven repo this is probably very interesting.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de