karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Join the modules bundle, feature, config, package, system, dump into one module framework?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:40:35 GMT

Am 23.03.2012 13:20, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> I would tend to favor coarse grained bundles, but for a given service, i.e.
> have a bundle which contain all the feature api + impl + management +
> commands, same for others.
I think at least API should be separate as it allows people to e.g. use
the mbeans remotely without having to know anything about their impl. So
I propose we either create one
API bundle for the modules I wrote or one for each module.

> Plus, having fine grained bundles gives our users the benefit of being able
> to remove some part without any difficulties, for example, if one does not
> want JMX management, not installing all the management bundles is enough.
I still would have the management bundle as that is not always installed.

> We could have an additional packaging for ease of use which would bring
> into a single bundle a bunch of those, but I'm not sure who would use it.
>
> So I'm not sure I really see the benefits in what you propose beyond
> reducing the number of bundles, which I don't think is really a problem in
> itself.
I am also not sure if the benefit of having less projects and less
bundles is worth it.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider