karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 07:08:51 GMT
Hey Stephen,

Well, the base idea behind this all is that Karaf is basically able to
reload bundles when specific conditions change automatically (see
dev:watch). In addition we know that you can use exploded bundles with
pax-url in Karaf. The first question is: a) how to wire them together
and b) what of those steps can we do automatically in EIK.

I think the target here should be a live-editing IDE for OSGi. I mean
there will be more tricks like EIK using bnd, configuring the urls,
informing about refreshs, reloading the code into the debugger
correctly, ...

As said, I'm not sure in detail what this means for which parts
(pax-url, karaf, eik) but the more I think about the idea the more I
like it. Think about how much this will boot developer speed in a
proper osgi app allowing correct reload of bundles...

Kind regards,
Andreas