karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Evanchik <evanc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion] Apache Karaf projects for Google Summer of Code 2012
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:34:53 GMT
Hi Andreas,

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:08 AM, Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Stephen,
>
> Well, the base idea behind this all is that Karaf is basically able to
> reload bundles when specific conditions change automatically (see
> dev:watch). In addition we know that you can use exploded bundles with
> pax-url in Karaf. The first question is: a) how to wire them together
> and b) what of those steps can we do automatically in EIK.

This is what I thought you meant. EIK already supports exploded
bundles via Equinox and this is how a workspace project is viewed. I
tried enabling dev:watch on one such bundle and found that it didn't
automatically work. I'll try again with a simpler bundle without the
EIK stuff torn apart and see what was going wrong.

> I think the target here should be a live-editing IDE for OSGi. I mean
> there will be more tricks like EIK using bnd, configuring the urls,
> informing about refreshs, reloading the code into the debugger
> correctly, ...

This is something that I've been working towards. Live editing and
runtime introspection are two areas which I am interested in. From my
experience, I have found that developers have trouble predicting what
is going on in the runtime and get frustrated when the only way to see
if things work is to run Karaf + their projects.

> As said, I'm not sure in detail what this means for which parts
> (pax-url, karaf, eik) but the more I think about the idea the more I
> like it. Think about how much this will boot developer speed in a
> proper osgi app allowing correct reload of bundles...

One thing I've been working on is using the Karaf Features
configuration to narrow the Eclipse compile time classpath. The
current code adds all JARs in Karaf to the Target Platform making them
available at compile time. If those JARs are not installed, because
they aren't in the boot features, then the developer's bundle won't
resolve or activate. Clearly we can do better in this area.

Similarly, understanding what System properties are available at
runtime is important. I have an early version of this working today
and will clean it up in the coming days.

Stephen

--
Stephen Evanchik
http://stephen.evanchik.com