karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for pax url aether config
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:29:45 GMT
I introduced the org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.defaultLocalRepoAsRemote flag and set it to true so
that the system repo could work at all.  My thinking on mvn urls has changed considerably
since then.

I think there are two plausible choices:

1. keep the system repo as the local maven repo in karaf and treat the ~/.m2/repository repo
as a remote repo.  IIUC this prevents "watch" from working unless you push the snapshots into
the system repo.

2. don't pretend that the system repo is a maven repo at all, and don't try to use mvn urls
with it.  Use mvn urls for stuff you don't plan to put in the system repo at all.  Use the
normal mvn configuration unchanged.  Either flatten the directory structure or introduce something
like a "system" url handler that just looks in system using the same url structure as the
mvn handler.

After considering the matter for a couple of months now, I'm very strongly in favor of (2).

Problems with (1):

- Everything you use a mvn url for will get copied into the system repo.  This is highly redundant.
- you need the maven metadata files cluttering up the universe
- There's rarely a guarantee that something you put in the system repo will be what's used,
whether or not you intend to use it.
- Scanning the universe for more recent snapshots unnecessarily slows down startup
- karaf won't work without the giant aether url handler which pulls in tons of barely related
code.

Problems with your proposed solution:

- everything in the system repo, unless overridden by something remote that might be more
recent, will get copied into the local maven repo.  To me this makes it unacceptable and is
the biggest reason I introduced the org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.defaultLocalRepoAsRemote flag.
- There's no actual need for the system repo.  (this might be seen as an advantage)
- Everything (except startup bundles) is filtered through the mvn url handler which may not
be what you want.

Advantage of not using the mvn url handler for the system repo:

- the mvn url handler becomes optional and karaf can be self contained
- you can be sure if you put something in system that's what will be used.
- startup for anything in system  should be much faster

So right now I'm about

-10 on (1)
-100 on your proposal
+1 on (2)

Note also that right now startup.properties looks like it's using mvn urls but in fact they
are interpreted to point into specific files in the system repo.

This may have some impact on features and kars.  Right now feature repositories are just xml
files typically containing more than one feature and using mvn urls.  Kar files are typically
zip archives containing a maven repo structure with one or more feature repositories and some
artifacts and some resources.

On the other hand the subsystem spec only has things like kar archives, but the feature repository
is in a manifest structured file, has only one top level feature (or other subsystem) and
the artifacts are in a flat repository, at the root.  I don't think there's any good reason
to keep the maven repo structure in our kars or to unpack the contents when installing; a
jar: url ought to work fine.

thanks
david jencks

On Mar 6, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:

> I just discussed with JB how a correct config for pax url could look like. I think we
found a very nice solution (See below).

> Basically it uses the default local maven repo as a local repo and uses the system dir
a a remote repo.
> - This means the system dir is now read only
> - The local repo is the prefered repo to look stuff up
>
> I think this is exactly what we need. JB was first a bit concerned about the local repo
being looked up before the system dir. I think this should not be a big problem.
> For released artifacts it should not matter and for snapshots looking in the default
local repo first is exactly what I need for my own development.