karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Handling of initial bundles
Date Mon, 07 May 2012 06:18:42 GMT
I waited for almost 2 days. Your mail came just shortly after my commit.
So I thought the dicussion was settled.
You are right though that I could have waited a little longer. I only
committed the first part though and I think that I incorporated all
feedback into the change.

So let me summarize the feedback and how I included it:

- There was only positive feedback about having only the
startup.properties and not the properties in the config.properties to
control the startup bundles. So I think  we agreed on this.
- David gave the feedback that he would like the startup.properties to
be a flat list of bundles. While I don´t agree that this is a good idea
this is absolutely possible. I used mvn urls in
startup.properties and for the framework but you can use relative paths.
So if you have the startup bundles directly below system you can just
refer to them by file name in  the startup.properties.
I also used an interface ArtifactResolver that allows to easily replace
this behaviour.
- Guillaume and you gave the feedback to not introduce new dependencies
and I did not

So functionally I mainly simplified and restructured the Main code. It
went down from about 950 lines of code to about 400. I think the code is
much more readable and maintainable now.

There is one nice new feature that is possible now. You can specify the
path to your local maven repo in bundle.locations. In this case karaf
can startup completely without a system directory and directly uses the
local repo. I think this is really nice for developing. As you do not
have to do the assembly step when changing the source of modules in
startup.properties.

So again sorry for committing too early but I worked really hard on this
the weekend. In the end I had a really nice solution that at this point
I think fitted into all the feedback.

Christian

Am 07.05.2012 00:46, schrieb Achim Nierbeck:
> To my concern the way main and the loading of karaf worked was "Good
> Enough for Now".
> I didn't see any issues to change the way it was working. So yes if
> something is good and properly
> working, don't Touch it. You might break it.
>
> Regarding committing your changes, I do find it disturbing, that you
> start a discussion without
> waiting for a result.
>
> regards, Achim
>

> Am 06.05.2012 22:28, schrieb Christian Schneider:
>> I did not have the intention to make this more complicated. I just
>> removed the other options.
>> So what exactly do you -1?
>>
>> I already committed the first step of the implementation and of
>> course did not introduce any new dependencies.
>> For the next step I plan to simply read the feature file instead of
>> the properties file. I don´t think that I need the feature service
>> for that.
>>
>> Of course that means that the framework feature would only allow the
>> list of bundles and the startlevel for each bundle. So basically the
>> same
>> that is supported in the startup.properties. Is that ok?
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> Am 06.05.2012 19:12, schrieb Achim Nierbeck:
>>> Even though you and Christian are certainly right that maven and
>>> OSGi work quite well if the versions are kept right, but this
>>> isn't the focus here. So coming back to the initial question I agree
>>> with Guillaume, to better keep the main class
>>> lean and simple therefore I give a -1 on this.
>>> I don't want to see any dependencies to a features service what so
>>> ever in main.
>>>
>>> Thanx, Achim

that it's a
It's