karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Ssh agent and key authentication support
Date Mon, 28 May 2012 12:11:53 GMT
Am 26.05.2012 15:42, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Christian Schneider
> <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>> As I expressed on IRC I prefer a secure setting by default. If we take a
>> look at tomcat then they had the remote management open
>> but now have it secure by default and you have to activate it by hand. While
>> this is more inconvenient I think it is the only way
>> to make sure people donĀ“t leave it open. Karaf is not yet in widespread use
>> but if we  are succesfull it will be used much more in the future.
> As I said, before being widespread, we need Karaf to be easy.  When
> Karaf will be as popular and known as Tomcat, I think we could revisit
> our security strategy.

+1, and to be honest, since we do have a console which is used going to
be used by most
admins/users where we will prompt some sort of warning we are in a
totally different
position then tomcat. To achieve something the same with tomcat you need
to browse
to the starting page of it.

>> I really like the ssh agent as it allows a very convenient management of
>> several instances and requires only the little effort of copying the public
>> keys
>> to the authorized keys file.
> I think it's too much.  Beginners won't just understand why they can't
> connect to the karaf instance, have to find some documentation, do the
> manipulation.  It may take 20 minutes, and people that just want to
> give it a try may very well not try that.
>
>> So the question is if having a default private key is the only option to
>> achieve a convenient management. I think we have other options that are
>> almost as convenient and
>> pose no security risk.
>>
>> - One option is to log the public keys on the server instance and provide a
>> command to allow them to connect (add them to the authorized keys)
>> - Another option is to provide a command to create a remote instance using
>> the ssh access to the remote system (similar to fuse fabric). After creating
>> the instance we could allow to also copy keys. So the instance could be
>> reached without a password.
>> - For local access using the client command we could create a private key in
>> the user dir and add it to the authorized keys at first start of karaf. So
>> the client
>> command would work without a password and still be secure.
>>
>> One good thing about these options is that they also apply to production
>> instances while the default private key would never be an option there.
> What you want is a centralized user management system.  That's a good
> thing to have, I just don't think Karaf has to provide it.   That
> could be a subproject, but I'm quite sure there are already good
> solutions for that.

I always thought I'm able to achieve this with JAAS, just plugin the
centralized user
management available. Like ActiveDirectory / LDAP or what ever one would
like.

> And I don't think this proposal is good at production time.  People
> will want to know the key before deployment so that it can be used to
> actually access the instance.  Having to start the instance, wait
> until the key is generated so that you can later be able to log in
> does not sound like something very easy.  Also any solution that would
> involve securing the private key would have to also secure the default
> password in the same way.

+1, yep I do favor KISS also, and this proposal doesn't sound like KISS.

>> Christian
>>

>> Am 25.05.2012 18:34, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
>>> So Christian has expressed concerns with the current state:
>>>
>>>   "Currently we create a private key at build time and allow full
>>> access with this key by default. I think this opens a big security
>>> hole. Of course the same is true for the karaf:karaf user. What makes
>>> the private key more dangerous is that people might not see this hole
>>> as easily as the default user. So I think we should not do this.
>>> Instead I propose to create a key at runtime and use it to connect to
>>> the local instance. We could store the generated private key in the
>>> user dir to make sure it is at a safe place."
>>>
>>> We had a chat on IRC so I'll try to summarize my thinking as well.
>>>
>>> The current state uses a static private key.  The main idea was to be
>>> able in development mode, to easily access remote instances without
>>> any additional configurations.  The private key is used by the console
>>> (when karaf is started with bin/karaf) and also by the bin/client for
>>> default authentication.
>>> To disable that (which is obviously bad when putting karaf in
>>> production, as I explained in an earlier mail), one has to disable the
>>> line in etc/keys.properties and etc/users.properties.
>>> This is similar to what we had with the default login / password and
>>> hardcoded password in ssh:ssh and bin/client, so I don't really see
>>> that as a real problem.
>>>
>>> I propose to add a warning to the console and log when starting karaf
>>> with such a default key enabled (i.e. the default key is available to
>>> log in) instead, so that we could keep the ability to easily connect
>>> to any instance at development time without additional configuration.
>>>
>>> Thoughts welcomed.

>> --
>>
>> Christian Schneider
>> http://www.liquid-reality.de