karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems building karaf trunk
Date Wed, 23 May 2012 08:47:46 GMT
I think we need at least a working two step build.
It can be done using profiles in the root pom and it has to work from
a clean repo.
So the first step is to build the maven plugin and the required
dependencies, the second one is to build everything (easier than just
building the rest).
The second step should be the default so that dev is not too much
impacted, with a README / BUILDING file explaining the steps to build
from a clean state.

We can start again the discussion, but IIRC it was deliberate and we
knew the problems coming ahead when we accepted djencks changes.

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Christian Schneider
<chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> We already talked about the build on irc but to sum it up here also on the
> list:
>
> I tested a build of trunk with a clean maven repo. I did not work out of the
> box as the karaf-maven-plugin is required when building the feature files.
> As maven checks that very early the karaf maven plugin is not yet there.
>
> So there are three options to really solve that:
> - The best solution would be to solve the problem in maven as it should not
> need the plugin so early. There is a very old issue open about it:
> https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1911
> So it does not seem this is solved soon
> - Create a profile in our build that builds up to the karaf-maven-plugin as
> a first step. Then the full build can be run
> - Change the feature generation so it does not need a build extension. This
> would require some more maven config than today but may be worth it
>

> I took a simple workaround by commenting out the assemblies module in the
> root pom. So the build was failing at the itests but the karaf-maven-plugin
> was built.
> Then I commented it in again and did a full build which worked.
>
> Btw. I had a test failure in the kittests which I currently investigate.
>
> Christian
>
> Am 22.05.2012 17:50, schrieb Christian Schneider:
>
>> Am 22.05.2012 17:05, schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
>>>
>>> Btw, I've tried to build karaf trunk yesterday and couldn't find a way
>>> to build it fully.
>>> I was starting from a clean repo, but even the root pom was trying to
>>> download some other karaf snapshots, so not sure what happens.
>>> Thoughts ?
>>>
>> Quite probably these are dependencies that were removed by JBs and my
>> refactorings but left in the pom accidently. I will take care of it.
>>
>> Christian
>>

> --
> Christian Schneider
> http://www.liquid-reality.de