karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Moulliard <ch0...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Karaf 2.3.0 very close
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 06:53:48 GMT
Even if I understand the karaf position I completely agree about Claus's
remark to also have Spring 3.1 for Camel and others projects.

What I would like to propose is that we create for Karaf/ServiceMix
projects a page containing a table of the different software used and have
a roadmap about them. This question is important not only for Spring
framework but also Pax, Aries, Felix, ... which are (re)packaged into
Karaf/ServiceMix
This will avoid that we discover a few days before the publication of a
release that we have miss something

Just my 5€ cents.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Claus Ibsen <claus.ibsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Oct 8, 2012, at 1:08 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Agree Claus, but Camel is not the only application running on Karaf.
> >>
> >> So, we have to think about "others projects" as well.
> >>
> >> I have no problem to upgrade to Spring 3.1.x but later (why not imagine
> a Karaf 2.4.x for that, it could be a good indicator), and propose both
> Spring 3.0 and 3.1 in Karaf 2.3.0 (depending of the impact, that I gonna
> test tonight).
> >
> > I agree with that.    I know CXF has had very little testing with Spring
> 3.1.x.    I would definitely prefer keeping on 3.0.7 for Karaf 2.3 and
> think about that for 2.4.
> >
> > I also agree that this is way to close to "release" to flip out a major
> component like spring.   Maybe a month ago, but not now.
> >

> Yeah I can understand the deadline issue as well.
>
> But its a shame that the new shiny Karaf 2.3.0 comes out of the box
> with the old Spring 3.0.7 from Dec 2011. And there has not been any
> new releases of Spring 3.0.x since.
>
> It would be cool if it was possible to provide an easy way for people
> to switch Karaf to offer Spring 3.1.
> Maybe that requires to offer a spring31 feature, and an easy way for
> people to configure Karaf to use that.
>
> At Camel we have a CI job that tests Camel with Spring 3.1. The
> upgrade for Camel has been painless.
>

> > Dan
> >

> >> Regards
> >> JB