karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Karaf 2.3.0 very close
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2012 12:08:48 GMT
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com> wrote:
> My understanding that the spring31 feature would be an optional part
> of Karaf 2.3.
>
> As to Karaf 2.4 - other than spring 3.1 i think we need to start a
> separate thread to discuss that particular branch's major changes.
> Please note, we've added a 2.4.0 version to Jira so that issues for
> that future release can be recorded.

I am not sure it must require a new 2.4.0 release soo soon for end
user to be able to use Spring 3.1 with Karaf.
Its a fairly minor upgrade as Spring Framework have excellent compatibility.

And IMHO it would be a confusing message to send to the Karaf
community, that after having 9 patch releases on 2.2.x
We cut a 2.3.0, and then just 4-6 weeks later cut a 2.4.0. Then people
may think that the 2.3.0 release is severely damaged since a 2.4.0
came out so soon.

I would like using Spring 3.1 in earlier releases such as the 2.3.0 onwards.
And if the Karaf team made it fairly easy to upgrade, and had official
documentation to do so.
eg so ppl can see its "officially" supported etc.

It may be adjusting some configuration file, or copy some file like
the cxf jre properties file etc.

Spring 3.2 is likely coming out later this year they are cutting their
RC1 in the near future.
And some other Spring projects now requires Spring 3.1 onwards such as
Spring Integration, Spring WebServices etc.

Anyway keep up the good work.

Just make sure its easier to upgrade Jetty and Spring in the
container, that would be my preference.
And by easier I mean it could just be some FAQ / doc page showing how
to do it etc.
And it would be nice with some unit tests for that as well. So Karaf
is tested a bit with Spring 3.1 etc.

> Cheers,
> Jamie
>
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Christian Müller
> <christian.mueller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I share most/all of the opinions.
>>
>> My additional 0,02$:
>> - If we have to release Karaf 2.3.0 today or in the next days, may be it's
>> safer to postpone the spring31 feature for Karaf 2.4.0/3.0.0. In this case,
>> Karaf 2.4.0 should be released in the next 2 - 5 weeks.
>> - If we can postpone Karaf 2.3.0 for 4 - 14 days, it would be great to
>> provide the spring31 feature in Karaf 2.3.0.
>>
>> Best,
>> Christian
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The dependencies table Achim was mentioning:
>>>
>>> http://karaf.apache.org/index/documentation/karaf-dependencies/karaf-deps-2.2.x.html

>>> Claus's

>>> Karaf.

>>> both