karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject Text editing in the Karaf console
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2012 17:40:35 GMT
Hi guys,

One feature I've always liked to have in the karaf console is the ability
to edit text files. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-2044

I took a stub last night, to integrate existing editors that might be
present in the system with the Karaf console (e.g. vi, nano or edit in
windows).
To my surprise starting the editor as a new Process and wiring input and
output seems to just work.

There are just a few things I'd like to solve before committing and I
wanted some ideas:

i) I can pass the terminal height and width to the process, but how do I
get those values get updated if I resize while the editor is open?
ii) Some editor don't take kindly the delete character and prefer backspace
(changing ascii 127 to ascii 8). Is this safe to do. Is there a better way
to handle it?
iii) After closing the editor, the console sometimes gets "flaky" arrow
keys might stop working etc.

Thoughts?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*