karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Ioannis Canellos <ioca...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] 3rd party Karaf commands compatibility between 2.x and 3.x
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:11:22 GMT
I am not sure if this is still the case, so please forgive me if the
problem no longer applies, but it seems that all 3rd party projects that
provide Karaf commands, can't possibly have a bundle that will work both
2.x and 3.x.

This is mostly due to the fact that in 3.x we no longer provide or use the
gogo annotations for commands, options and arguments. Unless we manage to
solve this one, all projects that provide integration with the karaf shell
would need to rewrite their commands for 3.x, which is a bit annoying if
not frustrating.

So, I was wondering:

is it still an issue?
is there a workable work around this?
are there additional issues that will totally break compatibility and thus
there is no reason to put any effort on this one?
should we rethink about dumping the gogo annotations?

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**