karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Idea: Allow users to patch feature files
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:57:03 GMT

On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:34 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> Catcha.
>
> I think that if we update the feature XML (including the URL of bundles), it works with
a simple URL refresh on the features repositories.

> My point is: if the user override the features XML in the system repo, it already works.
So we can apply diff + patch -p0 directly on the features XMLs.

The problem with this is that if the user then does:

features:chooseurl  foosnarf 2.5

and foosnarf also uses an older version, they still get the older version.   This requires
the user to to patch a BUNCH of features.xml files.    I'd definitely prefer something that
would allow overriding of information in the system directory (or pulled in), not require
changes to stuff in the system directory.

Dan

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/26/2013 05:30 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 26, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the value comparing to just a URL refresh and bundle refresh ?
>>> Not sure to see the point.
>>
>> Basically, to allow productizations of Karaf to more easily unify versions of various
libraries.    For example, lets suppose the CXF features.xml pulls in a particular version
of something, lets say WSS4J.    Camel, because they may run a little behind CXF, may have
an older version in their features.xml.  (forget ranges and forget the obr for second)   If
we could map URL's, we could leave the camel features file alone.   There are a bunch of bundles
that CXF and Camel (and others) have at different patch levels.   Yes, we can work in the
communities to unify some of that, but that still leaves the people that are trying to mix
and match various versions to have some extra headaches.

>> The other scenario would be that Camel imports the CXF features file.   Thus, to
get Camel to use a new version of CXF requires a patched version of the Camel features.xml
or you end up with both versions of CXF in the features:list.    If we could map the URL for
the imported features.xml, then we could, more simply, prevent these issues.

>> Dan
>>

>>> Regards
>>> JB

  Swap the version of "xerces" with this new version.   Or use specs 2.2 instead of 2.1 or
similar.

project is incorrect. Another similar case is if a small issue appears that can be fixed by
just patching a single bundle.
this work without a new release and without making user apps bump up the dependency to the
feature file to the next bugfix release number.

feature files after loading them. So a user could patch their feature files to quickly fix
simple issues.

--
Daniel Kulp