karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Minimal karaf distro
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 08:32:55 GMT
Hi Achim,

I am aware that the core "distro" is rather not meant to be downloaded
and used as is by users. I rather think it could replace the current
"framework" feature that we and others use to build distros. With a
slimmer framework kar we give people more freedom on how to assemble
their distros. For example if we do not include aries blueprint in
framework people can use their prefered version of blueprint. Currently
upgrades of blueprint are always tie to a change off the karaf version.

At the same time providing the current standard and minimal distros will
not become more difficult as we would just move some bundles from
startup.properties into features. Like Ioannis wrote it is just a way to
make karaf more modular.

We still can provide a core distro if people see value in it but it is
not my main concern to have this.

So if we can agree that a framework feature without blueprint would make
sense I will try to make features core independent of blueprint. This
should not affect any other modules and gives us the basis for a slimmer
framework kar.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider