karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Minimal karaf distro
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 17:22:06 GMT
I think we all agree that using native OSGi apis for all of karaf is no
good idea.

I only intended to use the native APIs for the feature core bundle. The
setup is definately harder than with DS but it is doable and
allows to have a core ( I think I would even name it bootstrap or
similar) that does not depend on any framework. One advantage would be
that this core would
run with any version of DS and blueprint. If we use one of these
internally we kind of dictate the version as we ship it.

Ideally I would like to see a karaf core or bootstrap that just consists
of two small bundles:
1. Support for mvn urls
2. features core or perhaps in the future subsystems
The system dir of the net distro then only would need to contain these
two bundles + the framework of course.

Of course we are quite far from that but I think it would make sense to
move a bit in the direction of such a simple setup.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de