karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Minimal karaf distro
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:00:55 GMT
At that point I would fully understand Neil Bartles bashing of
ApplicationServers, why in the world would we need this if a plain
framework is just enough ...
Oh wait, the main method for starting is there ...
Nah, I don't see much of a value of such a stripped server

but that's only my 2 cents ...

regards, Achim

2014/1/16 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net>

> Hi Christian,
>
> what's the value of such Karaf distribution compare to OSGi framework
> (felix) with some bundle in it ?
> It's basically just framework + Karaf feature, right ? We don't have
> shell, management, etc.
>
> Do I understand correctly ?
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 01/16/2014 10:50 AM, Christian Schneider wrote:
>
>> We recently talked about using Declarative Services for creating a
>> smaller karaf distro.
>>
>> I think we could even go farther than that. I think the core of karaf is
>> the karaf features and pax url. So how about just starting these in the
>> startup features.
>> Everything else could be loaded as a feature and so might be optional.
>>
>> So basically it would mainly be features core, pax url, pax logging +
>> their dependencies. As blueprint would be overkill for this scenario we
>> would have to make the features core only use plain OSGi APIs but that
>> should be doable. Of course such a runtime would have no shell so we
>> would need to add some way to stop karaf but that should also be doable.
>>
>> So what would a user get with this compared to plain OSGi? Basically he
>> would be able to install all the nice existing features for cxf, camel,
>> .. and also of course his own application, all from a maven repo.
>>
>> We might also consider the shell to be a core of karaf but I am not sure
>> it is absolutely necessary.
>>
>> If you think this is worth pursuing I could make the features core
>> independent of blueprint and create a proof of concept distro like
>> described.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Christian
>>

> --