karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf docker.io
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2015 19:10:36 GMT
Just some thoughts from the peanut-gallery here :-)

Besides that I like both ideas. Sometimes it would be nice to create a
docker image of the Karaf I just prepared to have all bundles/features
installed, especially when one wants to tinker with that image a bit more.
On the other hand I like the idea of building a docker image from a maven
build.

regards, Achim

> By the way, IMHO, it's also very convenient to take a running instance
> (where users installed features, changed config) and create a image with
> it. It's like the docker tag but from a Karaf perspective.
> Like this, users can "prepare" different instance state and "store" in
> docker image. That's the purpose of the Karaf docks.
>
> My 0.02 Pesos (ready for my Mexican vacation ;))
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/11/2015 10:06 PM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> What I've been working on those past days is a way to build docker images
>> based on a "static distribution" of karaf generated from profiles.
>> So starting from profiles, one can easily generate a docker image and push
>> it to a registry.  The image would contain all the needed bundles and
>> would
>> not have to be further "provisioned".  I think this is more in line with
>> the "static container" idea which is the basis for docker.

>>  Hi all,
>>>
>>> In order to provide an alternative to the instances, I started to work on
>>> a small PoC providing simple and convenient docker.io support in Karaf.
>>>
>>> The purpose is to easily manage images, containers, and be able to
>>> provision/create container with Karaf instances.
>>>
>>> For instance, this is a current available use case:
>>>
>>> 1/ You can create a docker.io container in two ways:
>>> 1.1/ karaf@root()> docker:bootstrap mydock
>>> creates a fresh docker.io container using karaf:3.0.3 image. I prepared
>>> different ready to use docker.io images for Karaf. I'm working on an
>>> embedded docker hub, with the appropriate commands to administrate it.
>>> 1.2/ karaf@root()> docker:provision mydock
>>> creates a docker.io container (using a karaf image) and copy the current
>>> running instance in the dock.
>>> 1.3/ It's also possible to start from a dockerfile.
>>> 2/ Once the dock (I named it dock meaning docker.io container where a
>>> karaf instance is living) is ready, you can control it using
>>> docker:start,
>>> docker:stop, docker:delete commands.
>>> 3/ it's possible to connect to a running dock using docker:connect
>>> command
>>>
>>> I'm working on docker:image*, docker:hub, and improve the existing
>>> docker*
>>> features.
>>>
>>> However, before moving forward on this, I would like to know if it makes
>>> sense and if people are interested by it.
>>>
>>> By the way, the code is on my github: http://github.com/jbonofre/
>>> karaf-docker.
>>>
>>> I will push my last changes tomorrow morning.
>>>
>>> Any comment is welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Regards

--