karaf-dev mailing list archives

From garyhodgson <cont...@garyhodgson.com>
Subject Re: Questions regarding Decanter
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:36:05 GMT
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the prompt responses!  A couple of things to mention.

I just raised KARAF-3655 as it seems a recent commit has broken the ES
appender and I had problems when I attempted to update to the latest
version.

@JB, "you don't have to install an elasticsearch instance in each Karaf
instance" - sorry I wasn't clear, I was referring to the
"org.apache.servicemix.bundles.elasticsearch" bundle rather than the
complete ES instance.  On further  consideration I guess the additional 20MB
it adds is acceptable, particularly when there is no suitable alternative.

@Achim, regarding the suitability of bundling Cassandra in Karaf, I tend to
agree.  The attraction of KairosDB was largely down to it being able to use
H2.  My thinking so far is that any embedded metrics features would be
small-scale, and local to the Karaf instance, dealing with much smaller
quantities and possibly shorter timescales.  Anything more would certainly
require a dedicated architecture behind it.

I'll get the instance name PR up in short order, and will keep you informed
of any interesting progress.

Best regards,
Gary