karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create and provide karaf-boot plugin
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 19:53:27 GMT
Actually, I wasn't clear.

At I'm proposing is not only a new plugin, it's also a dependency.

Imagine, that in your project pom.xml, you have:

<parent>
<groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>karaf-boot-starter-parent</artifactId>
<version>4.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</parent>

The parent contains all plugins and dependencies set, especially the
Karaf standard distribution.

Later in your pom.xml, you have:

<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
   <groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
   <artifactId>karaf-boot-maven-plugin</artifactId>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>

In your project, you just need a class describing your Karaf bootstrapping:

@KarafBootApplication
@WithShell
@profiles({"a","b","c"})
@featuresBoot({"f1","f2"})
public class MyContainer implements KarafBootstrapper {

@Override
public void run() {
   // setup your Karaf bootstrapping
}

}

The user can add "boot features" to customize the container:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.karaf.boot</groupId>
<artifactId>org.apache.karaf.boot.webcontainer</artifactId>
</dependency>

for instance it will automatically add Pax Web war feature in
featuresBoot (no need to use @featuresBoot).

The purpose is to (depending of the goal used by the user):
1/ be able to run container+application easily
2/ package a custom distribution, ready to go ("key turn") including
applications

Again, the approach is, from the native user codebase, be able to
bootstrap a container embedding the user applications. This container
can be started directly from the project, and provide an artifact ready
to deploy (on docker, or whatever). The artifact is actually a custom
karaf distribution.

I hope it's clearer. Again, it's just an idea, but IMHO, it will give a
new dimension to Karaf: it will turn Karaf as a modern polymorphic
container.
The users can still use Karaf "standalone" where they do the
provisioning, or they can use Karaf "boot" as basis for key turn
application container.

Regards
JB

--