karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Cave and Karaf 4
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:18:48 GMT
I've raised a JIRA issue for the integration of Cave and Karaf 4 (see
KARAF-3712).

I have the following things in mind to integrate Cave into Karaf 4.

When I mean integrating, I mean two things :

   - ability to to use osgi repository from cave inside the karaf feature
   resolution process (karaf 4 already support external osgi repositories so
   we're simply missing a compliant repository server)
   - ability to use cave as a maven repository and not only an osgi
   repository (i.e. serve other kind of artifacts with a real maven layout)

It would require the following things :

   - upgrade to CXF 3.1
   - us the spec'ed xml instead of the custom bundle repository xml format
   (both internally and for external access)
   - provide support for accessing repositories as json based repository as
   read by karaf 4 (see JsonRepository class)
   - support for gzip encoding of the repository in the servlet
   (repositories do compress very well)
   - move the maven proxy support from karaf 4 to cave

I think a good addition would be to provide each repository managed by cave
as a Repository object instead of relying on the bundle repository
Repository object which is an aggregation.

I would also get rid of OBR since this is deprecated.

We may also want to get rid of the felix bundle repository completely and
rely on the felix repository and karat-features-core bundle internal
classes.

Another good improvement for 4.0 would be to make sure the repositories can
be used with cellar using DOSGi.  Using a simple servlet instead of a full
war for the cave http servlet would trim down the dependencies a bit too
with no real loss imho.

I'm wiling to experiment a bit with these ideas ...

Thoughts ?