karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Questions regarding Decanter
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 21:33:22 GMT
Hi Gary,

comments inline :)

regards, Achim

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding Decanter.
>
> When used in multiple instances I found it was useful to add the instance
> name as a logged attribute, i.e. the karaf.name system property.  This way
> one can filter by instance.  Although it's a trivial change I'd happily
> create a pull request via github, but my previous request appeared to go
> unanswered.  Are Github PRs used at all? I see some PRs recorded in this
> list, but not from the Decanter project. (btw, that PR is closed as the
> change was implemented by someone else in parallel).

yeah PR are still the preferred way to contribute, though I'm not sure why
we don't have
notification mails for the decanter project right now.
Sorry about your last PR looks like we missed it. At least it's nice it has
been included
in another PR.
Sounds like a reasonable extension to have the karaf.name in the indexes so
give us a pull request
and maybe a hint on the mailinglist since the notification doesn't work yet
;)

> Regarding instances: I currently have it that each instance has a collector
> and an Elasticsearch appender installed, which means that the entire ES
> bundle is included.  There was mention in another thread about using an
> alternative, lightweight, client to access Elasticsearch, and I just wanted
> to mention that this would be a use case where such an option might be
> attractive.

Ok, we just need to make sure we don't re-invent the logstash wheel ;)

> My other question is regarding metrics.  I see the JMX metrics being stored
> in Elasticsearch, how are people presenting this information? via Kibana?

till now yes :)

> Up until now I have been running a Graphite Server + Grafana for metrics
> (with ES + Kibana + Logstash for logging).  I thought it might be an
> attractive option to be able to include some kind of Grafana + Time Series
> DB as a feature.  My initial research led me to KairosDB which works nicely
> with Grafana, and being Java based may be a candidate for wrapping as a
> OSGI
> bundle.  (My initial attempt to do this has not yet been successful, but
> that is probably due to my relative inexperience in wrapping existing
> applications - although it's use of Guice may also be being problematic
> :/).
> Kairos has the advantage that it can be backed by H2 or Cassandra, the
> latter being also runnable on Karaf I believe.

The idea behind decanter is to be able to use different appenders, so one
could pump
data into a cassandra DB. Even though I build that showcase I wouldn't
recommend to keep
one running inside Karaf as productive server. It just draws to much memory
from the system.
A dedicated Cassandra Server should be better, but for local systems or
development it's fine to do that.

> So, the actual question: has anyone already considered such a metrics
> solution? Is it desirable? feasible?

Is it desirable ... don't know, but it sounds like a fun project and a
use-case which might already
fit your needs to go for it and give it a shot. If you find it's not worth
it let us know why ;)
If it turns out to be the best you ever did, give us a PR :D