karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] KARAF-3749 Add support for the Narayana Transaction Manager
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:28:34 GMT

> Hi all,
>
> I managed to add the narayana support and there is the related work on
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBTM-2163. Now it should be a bundle for
> narayana-osgi-jta.
> As Hiram mentioned in the KARAF-3749, the narayana is LGPL and it must be
> optional in the Karaf distro, just like the hibernate support.
>

> 1. there is the transaction support with apache aries transaction and is
> it possible to replace it with the narayana as optional ?

Yes, there's a way to do that with Karaf 4 without breaking previous
features.
We'd have to change the transaction feature to require the
TransactionManager service, add an optional dependency on a new
aries-transaction-manager feature and provide additional an feature for the
new transaction managers.
This way, existing or new features can still refer to the transaction
feature in order to make sure a transaction manager will be available, but
if you install a different transaction manager, this new one should be used
instead of the aries one.

> 2. It looks like two ways to contribute to the Karaf. The one is attaching
> the patch on the Jira and the other is opening a PR on the github. which
> one is better ?

Create a PR and link to it in the JIRA.  Pros are usually easier to work
with imho.

> 3. feel free to assign this issue to me at zhfeng

We can only assign issues to committers...  I've assigned it to myself and
will review your PR or I can have a look implementing it if you want.