karaf-dev mailing list archives

From bhillou <shu...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf Boot
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 07:19:06 GMT
Hello JB,

Thanks for this great proposal. I think this is really something that is
highly needed for Karaf. It's a great project but I've already started 3
different projects with it and the actual wiring needed right now has proven
quite heavy. Once everything is in place it's fantastic but getting there
takes a little more effort than I think.

Basically starting a project, the requirements usually look something like
this :

1. Creating the basic projects for the OSGi bundles (usually a two level
structure, such as plugins/pluginName)
2. Creating the project for the Karaf custom distribution
3. Creating a project for the ingregration tests
4. Creating a project for the distribution

The first step is usually one of the easiest, and making it easier is surely
a very good thing, but I think that improving step 2 and step 3 for me would
be a big benefit to getting projects started and out the door much faster.

I remember we also discussed Docker integration which would be even better !

Now one thing I'd like to react in your proposal is the parent Maven
project. This is something we also do in our product at Jahia, but sometimes
it causes problems because you might need to create an inheritance structure
that won't necessarily be compatible with the Karaf Boot parent project. So
maybe a BOM or some kind of import mechanism would be great. I also wonder
about being compatible with other build systems than Maven (such as Gradle).
This is not a personal requirements but it might be interesting.

Personally for me the dream world would be something like this :

1. Use a shell script to pull in all the environment I need (including Maven
if I don't have it, or let me choose another one I want)
2. Create a basic project structure for me, including integration tests and
a custom distribution
3. Let me code using annotations, CXF already built-in to build
micro-services
4. Let me code my integration tests to test my micro-services, including
already setup CORS, SSL and basic auth already all in place
5. Teach me how to package everything up so that I can then distribute and
promote my custom distribution
6. ??
7. Profit :)

I saw that Spring Boot is using GVM or Homebrew to install it's CLI but the
problem with those is that they do not work necessarily on Windows. If we
want to do something similar we might need to use different installation
mechanisms.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I like your proposal, I just wanted to give my
view of the project :)

Best regards,
  Serge Huber.