karaf-dev mailing list archives

From garyhodgson <cont...@garyhodgson.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf Boot
Date Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:23:29 GMT
Hi,

I thought I would add briefly to the discussion my opinion as a relative
newcomer to OSGi and Karaf, who is evaluating introducing it as part of our
architecture at $WORK.

Whilst I can see the attraction of working on some kind of karaf-boot
offering, my concern is that it would take resources away from other less
exciting, yet more important, tasks such as documentation, ensuring
stability and bug fixing.

Although it's probably not a popular opinion, I would say that working
through some of the (currently) 559 unresolved issues in Jira should take
priority over any new endeavour.

The flexible nature of OSGi and Karaf means that any karaf-boot solution
would have to be either (a) very opinionated as to what technologies to use
(DS, BP, etc), and therefore have a narrow target audience; or (b) highly
configurable and consequently almost as complex as implementing a solution
from scratch (I think OSGiliath exhibits this trend to some extent).

To introduce Karaf, et al at $WORK, I have ended up creating a multi-module
Maven project with a features module, a custom Karaf module, a business
module with CDI/JPA etc. All of which can be made running quite easily (and
could be further enhanced by creating a "karaf:run" type command,which
sounds like what "karaf-boot-starter" is expected to do.).  Having a "quick
start" archetype which sets this up would of course be useful, particularly
for those beginning with Karaf, but any realistic project will soon have to
change or replace parts to suit their own requirements.  In my opinion,
having more documentation would provide more value, quicker.

Best regards,
Gary