karaf-dev mailing list archives

From cuggbh <he...@bollig.me>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf Boot
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:03:24 GMT
It's only 6 or 7 years I am a Java developer. I am working with Karaf for 5
years now (through fuse, servicemix, talend or directly).

If I resume shortly what I understood from JB's first idea it's a set of
annotations to hide OSGi configuration to the developer to bring popularity.
I think it would work.

Would I personally use it or would I use it as an argument to propose Karaf?
I don't think I would. For the reasons Achim and Christian gave.

I will read about it because I don't get it when you talk about "BOM" but I
think that examples/maven archetypes in the github of Karaf maintained with
the different versions and completed with new features as version goes along
would do the job. Just as the tutorials Christian wrote. What I feel is
needed is more of those examples and a versioning of them. If they are in
the github (it could be an other project but versioned as karaf) you can get
easily the examples working for the version of Karaf you use by checking out
a tag. I think that those examples should be also linked to the OSGi
framework version to have the information about compatibility on an other
container, but it's perhaps not the subject here.
Why I think this way is because when I struggle on some configurations, and
I don't want to read all the documentations because I need it to work fast,
one of my first step is too check github to see if someone already did it,
if I had only one repo to visit and know that the configurations I look at
have integration tests I would earn a lot of time.

I think people have to know what happens when they do OSGi. If you get
developers who come to use it because you leverage it, they don't have to
dig in it and so don't understand the true advantages wouldn't they leave
for an other "new" technology with a short learning curve as fast as they
join?

It looks perhaps dumb and I perhaps misunderstood the whole thing but I felt
you needed some different thoughts. So I tried to give mine ;)