karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf Boot
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 15:11:04 GMT
Hi,

Samples should be part of Karaf itself (the problem of "outside"
tutorials is that it's hard to maintain up to date and to test with
every release).

So, that's exactly the purpose of the new developer guide: provide ready
to go samples, embedded directly in Karaf, that we test in the Karaf
itests. Like this, we are "forced" to keep it up to date.

If samples/tutorials/demos (whatever the name we give) are good, it
means that the developers "duplicates" the sample (copy/paste) and adapt
to their needs. It's good, but it's some "effort". Moreover, the samples
will be quite "low level".

So, we all agree: definitely, we have to provide samples in the Karaf
codebase, and it's already in the way with the new Karaf developer guide.

So, compare to such samples, karaf-boot would bring: a BoM (basically a
Maven dependency) providing all the dependencies version, etc, and some
more abstract/high level annotations or components.

Regards
JB