karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Milen Dyankov <milendyan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Install list of jar files in Karaf 4.0.1
Date Wed, 09 Sep 2015 13:37:28 GMT
Not sure if I understand everything correctly but as Achim pointed out -
the order of deployment should have nothing to do with your dependency
graph.

Once you deploy your bundles (in whatever order) they need to be resolved
and then started. If they can not be resolved (due to missing dependencies
for example) they would not be started. Typically the framework will try to
resolve them again once something changes (like another bundle is
deployed). So the moment those dependencies are provided (or more generally
speaking bundle's requirements match the available capabilities) those
should be started. Only after bundle is started it attempts to register
service(s). Here more or less the same concept apply. Services will be
started only after their dependencies are satisfied (how that happens
depend on whether a framework is used and if so, how it is
designed/configured) but at the end of the day it shouldn't matter in what
order those are started. They may not be available for a while but
eventually when everything is in place they should be started and wired
properly.

Now all that is true, assuming that all bundles/services take into account
the very basic principle of OSGI - things can come and go at any time. If
that is not the case then perhaps your application is not benefiting much
from OSGi on first place. May be you should fix that or may be give up on
OSGi (at least until you fix it). Personally I think the fact that a
deployment order is significant, 99% of the time means something really
poorly designed or overlooked.

Best,
Milen