karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Karaf docker.io
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 12:09:42 GMT
Hi guys,

let me "relaunch" this very old thread ;)

Even if most of us already use docker to run Karaf, I think that
karaf-docker could be a key and very interesting combination with
karaf-boot.

Imagine the following scenario:
- you construct your application thanks to karaf-boot (and the different
starters, karaf-boot-maven-plugin, etc)
- using your codebase, and the different starters that you use, the
karaf-boot-maven-plugin creates a Karaf custom distribution for you
- now, you can directly start your Karaf custom distribution on your
machines, your cloud, or docker: it's where karaf-docker can help.
In addition of the Karaf custom distribution, karaf-docker (and so the
karaf-docker-plugin that could be part of karaf-boot) can provide a
ready to run docker image with your custom Karaf distribution: you don't
have to prepare anything, the dockerfile, or whatever, it will be done
for you.

Of course, we keep the current features part of karaf-docker (the fact
to manage docker images directly in Karaf). I would like to add a new
set of features in karaf-docker: be able to create "business oriented"
Karaf (based on the first point). For instance, you want a Karaf
WebContainer, Karaf Hibernate, just use docker:create command to create
a custom Karaf distribution in a docker image, this distribution will
have "pre-installed/bootFeatures" as you described in the shell command.

Basically, karaf-boot and karaf-docker are in the same boat to provide
more user experience, flexible systems (profiles oriented) and killer
services platform.

I know that it's ambitious, but I trust in you all guys to help and
drive Karaf to a new dimension.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB