karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Huber <shu...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:04:29 GMT
Actually I wasn’t talking about the Spring Framework, for which I see no use inside of Karaf,
quite the opposite :)

I was merely talking about all the other libraries that they offer here : http://spring.io/projects

At my company we get the request almost daily on how to integrate these (or others) with OSGi
bundles. People are ready to try, but they get easily scared when they can’t get it to work.
And usually it’s not that difficult but it’s beyond their current experience level.

cheers,
  Serge…

> On 12 nov. 2015, at 11:00, Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:
>
> I also think that using spring is not such a good idea in OSGi. You are right that it
offers a lot of stuff that people want to reuse but I think the problems would outweigh the
benefits.

> So I think the better way is to show how to do enterprise development in a clean OSGi
ready way and show the migration path.

> I have started this with a tutorial about using CDI/JEE annotations for blueprint:
> http://www.liquid-reality.de/x/C4DK
>
> It leverages the fact that most people use spring with annotations today. So the actual
spring part can be quite small if you do it well. So if you use the CDI and JEE annoations
in spring it is quite easy to migrate to blueprint.
> The example uses the aries blueprint-maven-plugin. It allows to just continue using the
standard annotations that also work in spring.

> I did a migration from spring to OSGi and blueprint for a customer some months ago and
the plugin made this so much easier. So I could create another tutorial that shows how to
actually migrate from spring to blueprint in some steps. It is still not a trivial task but
I think the result can be a better application than using spring dm in OSGi.

> Christian
>
> On 12.11.2015 10:42, Serge Huber wrote:
>> I agree with you Achim but I was mostly proposing that because basically lots of
developers want to use Spring librairies to avoid writing code themselves. So unless we can
provide a replacement for all they are building I think we should have some kind of way of
helping them get bootstrapped.

>> Maybe this could be a seperate project outside of Karaf ?
>>
>> In the meantime I keep trying to convince the Pivotal guys every chance I get to
see the light and come back to OSGi and embrace Karaf :)

>> cheers,
>>   Serge…
>>
>>> On 12 nov. 2015, at 10:40, Achim Nierbeck <bcanhome@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Serge,
>>>
>>> one note about the spring idea ...
>>> right now spring isn't a nice osgi citizen anymore.
>>> So I fear Karaf will get blamed for Spring issues around Spring running
>>> inside OSGi.
>>> That's why I would keep away from that.
>>>
>>> regards, Achim

The