karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:54:40 GMT
Hi all,

I already discussed with some of you about my plan on Karaf marketing.

I think clearly that we had a great project, a great team, a great tool,
but we're not really good in term of promotion and marketing.

Especially, we have to be clear in the message and the projects that we
deliver. For instance, again, I'm sure that karaf-boot is a huge step
forward in Karaf adoption. I'm not sure that all users are aware and
know the purpose of Cellar, Cave, Decanter, and even some Karaf areas.

In order to improve the Karaf marketing area, I would like to propose
the following plan:

1. More professional website
I think we have to improve both the content and the look'n feel of the
website.
In term of content, I think it makes sense to not emphasize on OSGi. The
fact that Karaf runs OSGi is not really interesting for most of end
users (of course, it is for advanced/power users). We have to explain
that Karaf is modern and multi-purpose container. More over, with
karaf-boot, it becomes also a bootstrapper and "run anywhere" paradigm
platform.
So, I started a new website, changing the look'n feel (to give a more
professional shape) and the content (changing the marketing message):

	http://maven.nanthrax.net/goodies/karaf/site/

I will complete the website today (some cleanup, other pages than the
home one, etc), but it already gives you an idea.

2. New guides/documentation
I'm working on the improvement in term of content of the documentation.
Especially, the dev guide will be more straight forward, providing
recipes for users.
All guides will use asciidoc now. You can already see the kind of output
on the Decanter guide:

	http://karaf.apache.org/manual/decanter/latest-1/index.html

All Karaf guides (and subprojects) will be rendered in a popup using
such look'n feel.

3. Meetups
I plan to organize a Karaf Meetup beginning of 2016. I have some
sponsors in mind. The purpose is to meet most of Karaf users, devs, and
enthusiasts.
I will give you more details soon.

Thoughts ?

Regards