karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:43:59 GMT
Hi Serge,

thanks for the update !

Honestly, I'm not sure at all about Spring, as they don't support OSGI
anymore, so not easy.

For Jigsaw, good idea ;)

Regards
JB

On 11/12/2015 10:32 AM, Serge Huber wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On 12 nov. 2015, at 07:54, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I already discussed with some of you about my plan on Karaf marketing.
>>
>> I think clearly that we had a great project, a great team, a great tool, but we're
not really good in term of promotion and marketing.

> Yes Karaf is clearly one of the hidden gems of the ASF, and if marketing it properly
can make it more visible and people understand it’s value better, everybody wins.

>> Especially, we have to be clear in the message and the projects that we deliver.
For instance, again, I'm sure that karaf-boot is a huge step forward in Karaf adoption. I'm
not sure that all users are aware and know the purpose of Cellar, Cave, Decanter, and even
some Karaf areas.

> Yes, and at the same time positioning Karaf as compatible with lots of technologies would
help. For example tell everyone that they can realize their projects in Karaf that use Spring
technologies would be helpful, not making them have to choose between Karaf or Spring, but
rather just use Karaf as the runtime and build on top of it using Spring librairies. Of course
this requires that we provide features for all of these.

>> In order to improve the Karaf marketing area, I would like to propose the following
plan:

>> 1. More professional website
>> I think we have to improve both the content and the look'n feel of the website.
>> In term of content, I think it makes sense to not emphasize on OSGi. The fact that
Karaf runs OSGi is not really interesting for most of end users (of course, it is for advanced/power
users). We have to explain that Karaf is modern and multi-purpose container. More over, with
karaf-boot, it becomes also a bootstrapper and "run anywhere" paradigm platform.
>> So, I started a new website, changing the look'n feel (to give a more professional
shape) and the content (changing the marketing message):

>> 	http://maven.nanthrax.net/goodies/karaf/site/
>
> Looks really good, there are a few images that have resizing issues but that’s a detail.
One message I also repeat often about Karaf is that it’s the basic runtime you would end
up with if you started a project from scratch, so why not use that as a start instead of re-implementing
it.

> Also, at JavaOne Oracle was talking about Jigsaw a lot, so maybe we can capitalize on
this by saying that this is a module system that is proven and future-ready. I like the enterprise
positioning, clearly in opposition of not-yet-ready-for-production platforms such as docker
or in some regards Spring-boot :)

>> I will complete the website today (some cleanup, other pages than the home one, etc),
but it already gives you an idea.

>> 2. New guides/documentation
>> I'm working on the improvement in term of content of the documentation. Especially,
the dev guide will be more straight forward, providing recipes for users.
>> All guides will use asciidoc now. You can already see the kind of output on the Decanter
guide:

>> 	http://karaf.apache.org/manual/decanter/latest-1/index.html
>>
>> All Karaf guides (and subprojects) will be rendered in a popup using such look'n
feel.

> Looks good but it would be fantastic if it was also responsive so that it can be used
on tablets and or phablets :)

>> 3. Meetups
>> I plan to organize a Karaf Meetup beginning of 2016. I have some sponsors in mind.
The purpose is to meet most of Karaf users, devs, and enthusiasts.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org