karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Karaf marketing
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:00:52 GMT
I also think that using spring is not such a good idea in OSGi. You are
right that it offers a lot of stuff that people want to reuse but I
think the problems would outweigh the benefits.

So I think the better way is to show how to do enterprise development in
a clean OSGi ready way and show the migration path.

I have started this with a tutorial about using CDI/JEE annotations for
blueprint:
http://www.liquid-reality.de/x/C4DK

It leverages the fact that most people use spring with annotations
today. So the actual spring part can be quite small if you do it well.
So if you use the CDI and JEE annoations in spring it is quite easy to
migrate to blueprint.
The example uses the aries blueprint-maven-plugin. It allows to just
continue using the standard annotations that also work in spring.

I did a migration from spring to OSGi and blueprint for a customer some
months ago and the plugin made this so much easier. So I could create
another tutorial that shows how to actually migrate from spring to
blueprint in some steps. It is still not a trivial task but I think the
result can be a better application than using spring dm in OSGi.

Christian

On 12.11.2015 10:42, Serge Huber wrote:
> I agree with you Achim but I was mostly proposing that because basically lots of developers
want to use Spring librairies to avoid writing code themselves. So unless we can provide a
replacement for all they are building I think we should have some kind of way of helping them
get bootstrapped.

> Maybe this could be a seperate project outside of Karaf ?
>
> In the meantime I keep trying to convince the Pivotal guys every chance I get to see
the light and come back to OSGi and embrace Karaf :)

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect