karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [HEADS UP] Marketing and releases schedule
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 08:36:04 GMT
Hi Serge,

thanks for this great feedback ;)

We are definitely in line ;)

Regards
JB

On 11/25/2015 09:31 AM, Serge Huber wrote:
> Hello JB,
>
> I was actually thinking about this this morning too. The website seems more and more
“critical” I believe to make Karaf appear as a modern “container” solution. It would
actually be great to have a “roadmap” page that summarizes the ideas for the future of
Karaf. I was thinking about doing this for the Unomi website too. In the roadmap of course
Karaf-boot could be referenced and even the tentative code could be referenced, making it
much more visible.

> For karaf-boot I think it would be great to move it to the Karaf repository asap, that
way it will be more visible. Also I need to play with it to understand what you have done
so far.

> On my way in to the office I was thinking that we should “leverage” existing technologies
out there for Karaf boot. Much in the same way that projects like JHipster (https://jhipster.github.io)
do it, it would be fantastic for example if JHipster offered a Karaf alternative to Spring-Boot.
Also, maybe we could find a way to leverage Spring Boot by offering Karaf Features that embed
most of the Spring libraries so that we could then say, instead of using Spring Boot and create
yet-another-monolith, you could instead use Karaf Boot and the Spring features and easily
create a custom distribution that provides any of the features listed here : https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/tree/master/spring-boot-samples

> My thinking is that if this is done right we might even convince Pivotal to use Karaf
instead of their own custom container, which would make sense for them too since they are
basically (slowly) re-inventing Karaf for their needs.

> If we can streamline Karaf boot enough, it has (I believe) a huge potential. And I volunteer
to do all the work to try to get Pivotal on board once we have something very smooth :)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org