karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: bnd files in Decanter Project
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 08:57:39 GMT
Hi Markus,

we had this configuration (and in most modules still have it) in Aries.
The big problem is that if you setup for example an Import-Package in
the parent pom then you can not change it back to the default in a
submodule.
This caused a lot of problems in Aries. If you look into the links below
you see how verbose the setup is and how easy it is to configure it wrong.

I also do not like the approach of using properties for OSGi configs as
they are just arbitrary strings. So it is really easy to mess up.
I think the maven-bundle-plugin uses pretty good defaults so the default
config is a good start and tweaking the config per module as necessary
produces good results.

I have also looked a bit into the bnd-maven-plugin. I generally like the
approach of being less invasive regarding the build. I have not used it
in a bigger project though.

For reference this is the setup in Aries:
Properties
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/parent/pom.xml#L184-L213
Baselining
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/parent/pom.xml#L393-L410
Maven bundle plugin
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/parent/pom.xml#L529-L557
One of the modules
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/blueprint/blueprint-core/pom.xml#L48-L91

To compare. This is the setup of the jpa subproject.
Maven bundle plugin and baselining
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/parent/pom.xml#L185-L213
One of the modules
https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/jpa/jpa-container/osgi.bnd

If you compare the two approaches you see how much simpler the setup
with no big defaults and an extracted bnd file is in the jpa sub
project. A small part of the simplicity comes from the bnd file
extraction but the much bigger part comes from simply leaving the defaults.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de