karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: bnd files in Decanter Project
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 10:05:50 GMT
 From my point of view the arguments for and against the bnd file
extraction.

Pro:
- You typically do not need a plugin definition at all in each module
pom. So the definition just in the bnd file is much more concise.
- If you use bndtools you get a nice view and editor for the bnd file.
This is not so important for me though.

Con:
- If you use intellij then most probably you will have some completion
support for the configurations in the pom but not for the bnd.bnd file

So I think the extraction is best for users of eclipse and bndtools and
less valuable for other IDEs. To be honest though editing the bnd files
is not really a big deal.
I typically only use Import-Package, Export-Package, Private-Package and
Bundle-Activator and these four I can type without completion. The maven
bundle plugin also nicely
complains if you have any errors in the file. So I think editing with a
simple text editor is no big deal.

Christan

--
Christian Schneider