karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: bnd files in Decanter Project
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2016 12:18:45 GMT
Since entire thing is going slowly into end I just wanted to clarify one statement from Christian’s
earier mail:

> Wiadomość napisana przez Christian Schneider <chris@die-schneider.net> w dniu
16 lut 2016, o godz. 10:29:

> On 16.02.2016 08:46, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>> Fwiw, if I had to do it again from scratch, I would not introduce
>> properties for the OSGi bnd instructions again.
>> The main reason is that the maven bundle plugin / bnd tools do make a
>> difference between a property which is not set and a property which is
>> empty.  When it's not set, it usually has a good default (for the most used
>> properties).
>> The default values are usually good ones, and it can be very difficult to
>> overcome the fact that the parent plugin defines them as empty.
> So if I interpret you correctly then we would not set properties in the parent pom like
Lukasz proposed. I fully agree with you even if it makes the configs more verbose.
> After rereading the example from Lukasz I found that he proposes to set the default exports
like in Aries to export a package named like the groupId which is really bad.
My proposal was not to use group id as package name but combination of group and artifact
id which should always give unique namespace of bundle. I don’t think we have that in Karaf
now (however I didn’t verify that too), so it was rather free idea thrown in conversation.

Guillaume - in which cases you noticed different behavior for empty and undefined properties?
It could be worth for keeping this knowledge for future discussions.

Cheers,
Łukasz
—
luke@code-house.org